Disposable Battery Safety
Fire Departments all over have determined some house fires are caused by a what would seem unlikely and often overlooked item... Batteries.
A 9 volt battery IS a fire hazard because the positive and negative posts are on top, right next to one another. If the ends come in contact with anything metal i.e. aluminum foil, steel wool, paper clip, other batteries, etc. this will create the object to heat up and ignite a fire.
To store, keep in original packaging or keep ends covered. Alot of people just throw them in the junk drawer uncovered. If you do, please cover the leads with electrical tape first.
For disposal, PLEASE make sure that the positive and negative posts are safely wrapped in electrical tape & bring to an eco-friendly battery recycling drop-off.
This is no joke. There are video testimonials on the internet regarding this subject.